Using global variables input

• Hi all,

I'm looking for a way to create a simple interactive Drawbot script, where users can fill in a couple of text fields, run the code, and end up with a movie.

I can find something about the Variables in the documentation, but I'm not sure how to go from there.

Basically, I have 3 questions:

1. Is there something like a 'button' UI element? Something that can trigger something for example?
    2. Is there more documentation on this, like is this a Drawbot specific thing, or is it embedded in Python?
    3. Are there better ways to create a simple UI for a Drawbot-script? Like making the thing in Python and loading Drawbot as a module etc?

I understand these are quite 'broad questions', but I'm just looking to get pointed in a general direction.

Thanks!

• hello @snaders,

Variables is just a convenience function which uses vanilla to build simple UIs while working inside the DrawBot IDE. it’s quick and easy, but also a bit limited.

to build a custom interface for your DrawBot script you’ll need to use vanilla directly (see this example), and then use the PackageBuilder to bundle it all into a .drawBot package for distribution.

please give it a try, let us know if you need any help.

good luck!

• Hello @gferreira,

Thanks for the quick reply. I mistakenly thought vanilla just ment that it didn't have any 'addons'. Like vanilla JS...

This makes a lot more sense, will look into that! Thanks a lot!