Drawbot for other Operating Systems? Linux? Windows?

• Hi, I'm a teacher in an Art school in Brussels, ecole de recherche graphique.
    We highly value the relationship between code and design.

However, almost half of the first year students do not have an Apple computer, they use Windows, mostly for reasons of lack of budget. A small percentage of the students uses Linux machines. Quite a large chunk of the teachers also run Linux. Raspberry Pi's are often used in all kinds of projects.

How hard would it be to compile Drawbot for Linux? (seen that there is a Unix base similarity) For Windows?

Drawbot is an excellent educational tool - the students of design are changing, along with their OS.

Thanks,
    W

• hello @dywen,

DrawBot is macOS-only because it’s written on top of the macOS graphics layer.

there have been some attempts at creating drawbots for other platforms using Cairo as the graphics layer (for example ShoeBot and Cairo DrawBot). not really sure how well these work.

you might have more luck with Even, Processing, or Paper.js.

hope this helps!

• @gferreira said in Drawbot for other Operating Systems? Linux? Windows?:

hello @dywen,
    DrawBot is macOS-only because it’s written on top of the macOS graphics layer.
    there have been some attempts at creating drawbots for other platforms using Cairo as the graphics layer (for example ShoeBot and Cairo DrawBot). not really sure how well these work.
    you might have more luck with Even, Processing, or Paper.js.
    hope this helps!

Ok, thanks!
    Processing is already being taught at the school. I'll look into the other projects - already knowing one of the developers of Shoebot.
    I asked the question after reading about this nice tutorial sequence, based on Drawbot:
    http://pythonfordesigners.com/

Enjoy!
    (I won't ditch my Linux ;-))