Get location of added letter to FormattedString

• I'm adding letters to a FormattedString one by one (with append), but I want to save the position of each letter when I do that. Is something like this possible, and how would I go about it?

It doesn't even have to be a FormattedString per se. I could also just type the text beforehand (because it is always centered), and then get the position of each letter.

Thanks in advance!

• admin

I don't know what you are trying to do but textBoxCharacterBounds is really handy to retrieve typesetted information.

help(textBoxCharacterBounds)

t = FormattedString()
    t.fontSize(50)
    t += "hello"

t.font("Times")
    t.fill(1, 1, 0)
    t += " world"
    t.font("Times-Bold")
    t.fill(1, 0, 0)
    t += " fooj"

textBox(t, (0, 0, 400, 400))

textRects = textBoxCharacterBounds(t, (0, 400, 400, 400))

for textRect in textRects:
        x, y, w, h = textRect.bounds

fill(random(), random(), random(), .3)    
        rect(x, y - textRect.baselineOffset, w, h)

text(textRect.formattedSubString, (x, y))

• Hey @frederik, always happy when you reply because you seem to be right all the time haha.

It sounds like textBoxCharacterBounds is about what I was looking for, but I want to do the following:

I have a word or sentence and put it in a font, align it center and now I want to have the actual x, y position of every letter on the screen. From your code it looks like it should be possible with textBoxCharacterBounds, but I want it separately for every letter.

Because later on I use these positions to check PNG's I load every frame to determine what the weight of every letter should be. That last part is working, but now I put the location of every letter by hand. But I of course want to automatically get the position of every letter in a string because it will be variabel. Does that makes sense?

• Looking at your code, it should be doable by maybe changing the fill for every letter, right? That makes every letter an independant textBox.

I only use it virtually in the beginning to get the position, I don't actually draw the letters then anyway, so the fill won't influence the end result. Will try to do this, thanks again!

• admin

indeed, letters are collected into glyph runs with the same drawing attributes, so if you change a thing (like fill color) then you will get a box for each letter.

good luck!