OTF file: accessing contours & segments

• Hello,

Is there any way I could use a BezierPath() generated from an OTF file in an approach like FontParts does with UFO files?

I would like to access more than contours, segments and points of that BezierPath() and get more attributes of it.

Thanks!

• hello @RicardGarcia,

a BezierPath is similar to a glyph. here’s how you can access the contours, segments and points:

B = BezierPath()
    B.text('a', font='Menlo-Bold', fontSize=1000)

for contour in B.contours:
        print(contour)
        for segment in contour:
            print(segment) # a segment is a list of points
        print()

there’s also points, onCurvePoints and offCurvePoints.

I hope this is what you’re looking for… cheers!

• Thanks a lot, @gferreira!

I knew about these attributes of a BezierPath() but since I want to know from each segment if it is a line or a curve I thought I could use a module and apply it to this BezierPath(). Anyway, I think I found a way to get this information by counting the amount of points in a segment so that, if there are 2 points it would be a straight line and if there are 3 a curve. Does this make sense?

Thanks a lot again, Gustavo.

• hi @RicardGarcia,

Anyway, I think I found a way to get this information by counting the amount of points in a segment so that, if there are 2 points it would be a straight line and if there are 3 a curve. Does this make sense?

yes, except there is only 1 point in a straight segment (and 3 in a curve). the first point in a segment is always the last point from the previous one – have a look at this example.

enjoy!

• Thank you so much again, Gustavo!